Saturday, August 18, 2012

Sleepy Bear Dunes

We went to Sleepy Bear Dunes for a day trip. It is getting busier as last year Good Morning America voted it the prettiest place in America.

They have a dune climb and every year we try to go further then the last. I had brought a camelback so we could be prepared this year. Too bad I left in the hotel! I looked over the info and the full climb is 4 hours, 3.5 miles, up and down hills in sand. It says it's challenging and you need to be prepared. We decided it was going to be too much... Haha

We left with 2 small bottles of water ( 10ozs) and started hiking. The girls did .75 miles one way so 1.5. Two little 4 year olds had out hiked most adults. But, baron wanted to keep going to the lake. So Opa took the girls to the car and Baron and I went off. I'm glad we did. It took us 4 hours. I drank no water as we didn't have enough ( heat of day). And I to bum some more water for Baron off some college girls. I have to say it was harder then a half marathon. I was so sore the next day I couldn't workout. And my feet burned in the sand. Almost a week later... And I still have blisters all over my feet. For the way back everyone had brought food and shoes. We had nothing! For awhile I thought Baron was not going to make it back. It wasn't pretty. He was stopping every 5 feet. Then he met a "friend" he was 12 and he talked to him on the way back. It helped pass the time. Nothing like getting done at 3 and your son had not even ate! Next year we are going prepared!










































- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment